Friday, September 29, 2006

cali-vegas day 1 at san diego

Friday, September 15, 2006 - Day 1

The flight to San Diego

Calivegas sounds like some kinda cauliflower doesn't it. Hee. In order to meet pb [who already drove down to san diego from LA the day b4] earlier and spend Friday touring, my flight was at an unearthly hour of 7.30am. Which means check in at say, 5.30am. Being kiasu I thought I should aim to reach there at 4.30am.. Cos I always end up late and all. So I made poor kevin meet me at 3.45 am to fetch me to the airport.. heh heh.

So somehow I managed to reach there at 4+am thinkin i could check in and then explore the airport a little. However when I reached the check in place, this is what i saw:

DSC01212

nobody in the queue, nobody at the counter

DSC01214

information counter also nobody

I thought it was weird when all the cafes in the cleveland airport was closed when we reached the first time in the night. I mean, I thought airports all 24h one? Now even the airline counter is closed! Definitely a first for me.. haha and there was no one to ask for anything.. The screen at the counter said that my flight was still on time.. and there were even flights at 6+! So nonsense.

What to do, just be patient, at least I was super early and not late. Waited for quite some time, it was not until abt 5.45 I think that the counter staff started streaming out.. Well, at least they were pretty efficient and I managed to get my stuff [and me!] checked in soon enough.


DSC01215

BK breakfast!


DSC01217
DSC01220DSC01219

I so poor, jeans got hole liao. The hole got bigger and bigger throughout the trip, and at the end of the trip it totally splits from the left seam to the right -_-" bobian, everytime I sit/squat it rips a little more... kinda sad, they're my first pair of levis!

DSC01221DSC01231DSC01216DSC01226

Bought a travel pillow for 9.90 at the cleveland airport. I would have very much prefered those non-inflatable cushiony soft pillows which looked so much more comfortable, but I know I wldn't wanna lug those around, so I got this more practical one. Summore next time pb, my mum etc can use.

One thing cool about flying southwest is the pretty logo! it can be found everywhere and it really perks me up. They're embedded in the leather seats in the waiting area, on the seats in the aircraft, and even in the coffee stirrer! so cute!!

Oh, and this is my first time travelling in an airplane alone. I think it's really cool to travel alone, and the loner in me would lurve to do that sometime.. But yeah, its not exactly safe and all, and also it's more expensive since u can't split hotel/car costs.. but i shall kiv that. And so my carrier reached Nashville, Tennessee where I took another southwest plane towards san diego...

DSC01225
The flight attendants were super cool, i felt that they really went out of their way to entertain us by playing music, organizing word games, talking nonsense, and this:

DSC01228

hilarious

DSC01229
DSC01234
oh, flew past the desert, and mountainous areas.. very cool! luckily I got the window seat.

DSC01236

and i finally reached san diego at 10+am! pb and his ford taurus.

DSC01237

hao jiu bu jian

DSC01362


Travelodge Mission Valley


DSC01239


DSC01241

You can see that I'm using the compact dot gave me cos it was too light for her and its a pretty close shade! And its nice and light and small. and the container is pink so cute. In fact I like it so much I've almost finished using it, can see the bottom of the container already.. love it when it happens, means can buy new one hehe.

DSC01363


Quite nice room, travelodge. With wireless internet, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, ironing board. I approve.

Balboa Park
DSC01243

DSC01244
GPS told us to go to jack in the box for brunch. well, we had burgers and fries.
Prior to the trip, I had thought that Balboa Park was a national park, i.e. its a very natural surroundings, trees and fauna and all. So I was sorely disappointed to see only some museums around, most/all? of which had entrance fees. So we just kinda walked around a lil.

DSC01249
In front of some art museum. This was a costly photo.. I was using my newly acquired tripod for the first time. After extending it, I propped it up and fixed my camera. Even though the 3 legs weren't spread out entirely, I left it that way cos I didn't wanna further adjust it. So.. after this photo, the wind blew.. and.. we yan3 zheng1 zheng1 de saw the tripod and my baby camera topple and smash onto the concrete floor.
=(
Sians. My pretty baby super scratched now, but at least it still works ok. But not pretty anymore. The sleek shiny zoom button is now very rough to the touch and it pains me every single time I use it. And thus the following grouchy picture which is not posed. I was Seriously grouchy.

DSC01250
DSC01252
DSC01253
DSC01254
DSC01257
DSC01258
DSC01259
DSC01260
Seaport Village
After the rather-boring Balboa Park, we turned to GPS for assistance and he recommended Seaport Village. Pretty good choice! it was a relaxing and sunny place. Beautiful.

DSC01264
DSC01266
DSC01267
DSC01268
DSC01269
DSC01270
DSC01271
DSC01274
DSC01275
pb gian3 for icecream, so Ben & Jerrys it was. Some coffee flavour. Very expensive icecream, it cost us$6+!! can buy 2 tubs already! wah lau eh xin tia!

DSC01278
the pigeons were eyeing my icecream..

DSC01282
he's always wanted to sit/lie on grass and not feel gross, and so did i!

DSC01284
DSC01290
DSC01293
DSC01295
DSC01299
one huge monkey
Mission Beach
After a nice stroll in Seaport Village, it was time to hit the much raved pacific ocean beaches.

DSC01301
the city area

DSC01304
cool houses

DSC01306
blue skies!

DSC01307
It was freaking cold I had to wear my jacket and hide behind the barrier. I wonder how on earth the people could strut around in their bikinis.. brr

DSC01312
DSC01314

DSC01317
DSC01324

DSC01325
??

DSC01332
i lub this photo

DSC01337
this is the zui gao jing jie of self taken photographs

DSC01339
DSC01343
DSC01350
DSC01353
DSC01354
No idea how they managed to scratch(?) these drawings on the ground.
In an attempt to save money, we went to Target to buy microwaveable stuff for dinner, and lots of bottled water. Dunno why it still cost us $13.

DSC01358

the lagsana was ok
Really enjoyed Mission Beach. I had a good time chasing the sea gulls, who would just walk briskly at first just to entertain you, and when they realise you are serious about catching them, and near enough, they would take off.. hee. cute creatures.

Enjoyed the lovely weather, splashing in the ice cold ocean waves, walking barefoot on the powdery sands, the beautiful sunset, the bustling shops and cafes, the laidback atmosphere, and of course, the wonderful company I had.

No comments: