Sunday, November 12, 2006

I'm trying to catch up with my entries!

I am still so so behind time in my blogging. I will try my best to catch up with all the things I wanna say!


Friday, October 27, 2006

51 2


Pretty tree outside my office, with water droplets from the rain. This was taken before my excursion to Saks 5th Ave to get my kiehls lipbalm. I got the SPF 15 one over the #1 [with SPF4] cos er, kiasu what.. might as well have more SPF right?

Speaking of the kiehls lipbalm, I must say that i'm not a fan of it. Taste, smell, and ease of application is a big part of what I look for in a lipbalm and it fails for all 3. It tastes horrible like petroleum jelly [yes i know it is petroleum jelly] and i know it's supposed to be fragranceless probably so that it's natural and all. But being in a tube form, I tend to under/oversqueeze it, ending up with either no lip balm or too much lipbalm [that tastes poisonous] on my lips. In addition it gives you a glossy look which means you can't put any lipstick over it.

I think the $1 LipSmackers ones taste+smell better, are easier to apply [at least dunnid mirror] and also have SPF 15!! I just have to stop losing my lipbalms and stop leaving them in my jeans pockets and throwing them into the washing machine.. =p. About how moisturizing they are, haha I really have no idea. I think they all don't work. Anyways, I just bought a Burts Bees lipbalm today, together with other Burts Bees stuff in a very cute set. Heehee! Hopefully it's nice!

HMMM! I just stumbled across this site about Lipbalm Addiction. Although I don't quite agree with some of the statements it says about the different lipbalm brands, I do see some sense in what they say about manufacturers creating a need that isn't really there. I've always found my lips to peel even more after applying mentholatum lipbalm, and here it says it's cos of the menthol which has drying effects. And I've never really found lipbalm that I lurrrve. They're usually just greasy and gross. My my maybe I am addicted to lipbalm? And I don't even like it! Haha.. I just lurve the bonne bell lipsmackers ones cos they are so cute and fruity! What do you think?


Friday, October 27, 2006

Halloween activities for Halloween weekend! I kinda envy pple like quek, weijie who are schools and can go for Halloween parties and dress up and all. Sounds real fun tho I'd probably be lazy to dress up, it's such a hassle. Am I contradicting myself? Anyways, we went to a haunted house! WEe!



51 4

51 6

It was freezing, and we had to wait outside in the cold for it to open at 8+.

51 7
51 8


Some folks came out to entertain us a little while we were in the queue.

Well, I'll admit I was pretty glad to see families and kids around, meaning it couldn't be psychotically scary. The parts I hated most about it were parts where it was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing. It's really irritating and I worry for my safety. Other than that it wasn't fantastic, wasn't that scary, but kinda entertaining I guess. I was amazed that some kids were even acting inside, as patients of an asylum, and they were SCREAMING non-stop. Pretty good acting but hope they drank lots of water.. that was really bad for their voices. Ha.. Only slightly better than those frightnights we have in campus. Well they have a higher budget!

Photos weren't allowed in the house, but we got some wandering ghosts to take pics with us!



51 9
51 10
51 11

Who said ghosts don't show up in photos?

51 12


We celebrated Puji's bday after the haunted house nonsense.. We had a fun time making the birthday boy drink lots of beer. He had to say something good about everyone.. but we somehow found and excuse to make him drink every single time he said something. He was too obedient lah.. Poor boy fell sick the next day, made me feel kinda bad for bullying him that night. Haha, he is such a little boy.


51 16
51 22
Someone said the almond toppings looked like garlic. Actually they do.
51 23
51 28
Too bad I'd left before this photo was taken!


Tuesday, October 31, 2006

During work, the topic of ice skating came up when Kevin mentioned that the ice skates here were real cheap. Figure skates were at $19.90 and Hockey skates were at 29.90! That got us pretty excited about ice skating, and I also had the urge to get on the ice and glide. So for once we were very decisive and within half a day, found a suitable ice skating rink to go to. Kevin and erwin went to buy their skates at dicks before going down, and I couldn't quite decide between figure/hockey skates + i am very broke, so I didn't buy them yet.



DSC02718


Pretty good attendance for a last minute decision. haha kevin's pose actually hides his huge bump on his cheek! I'm prohibited from showing his closeup photo of the huge balookoo hehe but yes, it was huge. Actually he's the best skater around, he actually does stunts on rollerblades and stuff. That's why he fell, cos he try too many stunts lah!



DSC02721
DSC02726
DSC02727
DSC02730


Haha, all the crazy people. I had a great time taking photos of them in tak glam positions. The ring was totally empty, except for a couple of figure skaters. There was an Indian guy who was damn good at figure skating, he does these yoga stretches while gliding on the ice! haha! And he was really friendly as well, came up to us to chat and even taught us a thing or two. Really cool, unlike those dao figure skaters in the middle of JEC skating rink. We realised that we were really lucky that there weren't any kids around cos it was halloween night and they were all out trick or treating!

I really enjoyed myself, and I think it's a really good way to destress and unwind after a long day at work. Especially when you are gliding on the ice with the cool wind on your face. Jean even wanted to do it again the next day, but too bad there wasn't enough time for her to skate more b4 she went back to Spore. Maybe next time we can organise after work skating sessions at JEC, haha.

Oh, and luckily I did not buy my skates, cos I would have bought size 8 figure skates, but the rental size 8 were painful for my broad feet. So at least I can try around before buying.


Wednesday, November 1, 2006


DSC02732


Had lunch at Champps near our workplace with George. my Samuel Adams beer battered fish and chips. I can never taste the beer in beer battered fish and chips, am I not supposed to?



DSC02735


I seriously look like shit here. That's what happens when I'm too lazy to dry my hair properly with a hairdryer.


Thursday, November 2, 2006

A couple of days ago, an Italian colleague said, 'Cleveland is different from Italy. There are only 2 seasons here. Winter and summer.' Which is so damn true. One day it snows, the next day it's sunny. There is no in between! Crazy crazy weather.

This is about the 3rd time it snowed here. It was in the night, I looked out of the window and saw snow falling. Lots of snow. Puji took these beautiful pictures of our er, carpark that night.



Silent_Night_01
Silent_Night_09
Silent Night

The next morning, we decided to wake up extra early cos I was afraid that driving on snow would be very very slow. Stupid me somehow set my alarmclock to be one hour faster, resulting in me being up very early. Which is a very good thing really. That's why after preparing myself, preparing breakfast, I had time to go to the balcony and take the following picts.



DSC02739
dunno why there were fire engines.
DSC02740
DSC02742
From my balcony.
DSC02743


I had a fun time trying to film smoke coming out of my mouth while talking. haha.


Friday, November 3, 2006

We enjoyed ourselves so much on tuesday that we organized another ice skating outing! This time, there were a lot more kids around. Mostly high school students I believe. I haven't had a chance to interact with youths, and this was very interesting for me. I had a good time observing them! I also felt very old. Sob. Anyway, this time they opened up both rinks, and combined them together! Super huge place to skate. They also dimmed the lights and put some disco-ey lights on. Coupled with pop songs, it really created a very fun atmosphere.

I wish I could have taken photos of the huge crowd but I left my camera in the locker. Anyways, the americans are damn good skaters lah. so paiseh. Most of them skate so naturally, and I see them going backwards smoothly, figure skating, going real fast.. even the tiny toddlers are damn good. Bah.

This time I tried a size 9 skates, but I decided that they are too big for me. Haiya, so mafan! Each time I rent it's $2 so if I rent for 10 times I can buy my skate already!

The funny thing about the skate rental here is that it is so lax, you just hand them a receipt and they hand you the skates without requesting for any form of deposit. So the kids don't even care, they just leave the skates lying around after using them. Haha. Here's evidence of the mess in the locker area.



DSC02746
DSC02749
skates all over the floor.

I finally bought the skates on monday (Nov 6). I bought black figure skates for men, size 8.. tried them on Tuesday night and realised that they are pretty tight at the ankles.. went home with blisters on the left ankle =(. Hopefully they will somehow be seasoned after more usage, though I don't think they will cos it's made of very hard PVC material.

I didn't wanna buy the hockey skates even though they were wider and more comfortable cos I think it's very gek seh! Actually it is very seh. But if I wore it in Singapore pple wld think that I am an expert which i am not. Haha.. then fall down once on the ice, totally lak seh. Same goes with the white figure skates.. look too pro. AT least black figure skates look more like the rental ones haha. Also bought figure skates over the hockey skates cos the hockey skates are curved up at the ends of the blade, giving less stability.. And they don't have the jagged brake thing in front which is needed for certain figure skating moves. That is if I'm gonna learn any.

I'm thinking of taking up a skating course. Hopefully that can materialise and I'll be able to pick up a thing or two!

No comments: