Monday, April 27, 2009

Europe Day 13 - Vatican City

Thursday, 21 August, 2008

My.. I think I'll never Ever finish my europe posts. Ever.


beginner's guide to pasta. I was feeling poor so I ordered a lousy cold overpriced normal sandwich for brunch. Can't skimp on the cappucino though.


On our way to the Vatican City. We were trying to take the subway but it was closed due to some accident.. Some guy jumped onto the tracks? So we had to take a bus instead. It was crowded on the bus. We reached the Vatican Museums which houses the Sistine Chapel. It's good to reach here in the afternoon after all the tour buses have arrived, to skip the crazy queues (2 hour wait!) So it was about 1pm which means that we woke up pretty late today. Showed our student passes to get a huge discount on the tickets.







this looks like one of the mosaics from pompeii



boot shaped italy



wherever you go, you just keep seeing these irritating signs which point you in the direction of the Sistine Chapel as though they were in the next room, but it felt as though we would never reach it!


dali


and here we are.. see the Creation of Adam? I used to think that it stretched across the whole ceiling.. I imagined it to be that huge so I was a lil disappointed. However the ceiling was pretty magnificent.

ok, enlarged it for your viewing pleasure


I'd been waiting to do this! The Vatican City is a city state which has it's own postal system! It's also the smallest country in the world. So, we had to send a postcard home from here.





these are walls of Vatican City. Usually, in the morning, there are long queues along these walls.


filling our water bottle


St Peter's Basilica, which we didn't go in because it was so hot, we were tired and there were long queues. We later found out that it was free so we really should have gone in to have a look. darn. I was particularly interested in visiting the crypts which erm, store previous Popes. Especially Pope John XXIII who is well preserved in a glass coffin.

So with a couple of photos of St Peter's Square, we were ready to leave Vatican City.

No comments: